‘Would win’ – Nick Kyrgios’ gutsy Wimbledon final after US Open failure

Australian tennis star Nick Kyrgios believes he would have won the 2022 Wimbledon final if he had played anyone other than Novak Djokovic.

Kyrgios was appearing in his first Grand Slam final and was able to win the first set before failing to stop Djokovic’s charges for another title. as the Serb won 4-6 6-3 6-4 7-6 (3).

The 27-year-old showed off his powerful serve throughout the match, firing home 30 aces to Djokovic’s 15.

But Kyrgios was not as clinical when it mattered in the final as he converted just one of his six break points while Djokovic won two of four.

He held his in Q+A Instagram Kyrgios was asked what his biggest takeaway was from the experience, and while he admitted one area of ​​improvement, he felt he was playing well enough to beat most players on the day.

“Honestly, I feel like my first Slam final was impressive, next time I’ll try to ride the emotional wave a little smoother, but I realize how much was at stake,” Kyrgios wrote.

“I feel that if I had been up against anyone other than Djokovic in the final with the way I served that day, I would have won.”

Kyrgios played his best during Wimbledon and he turned a lot of heads with his behavior on the court.

While the Aussie can seem out of control at times, he suggested it’s all part of his game after being asked if his antics were tactical.

“Look at my win/loss record, titles, big wins and prize money, figure it out,” Kyrgios replied.

Another questioned why he was so cocky, saying Kyrgios is adamant it’s simply confidence based on his past experience.

“People tend to mistake my confidence for arrogance because they have no idea what I’ve been through,” he said.

Kyrgios suffered a setback at the US Open

After the Wimbledon final, Kyrgios will aim for another deep run at the US Open, which begins in late August.

But the 27-year-old’s preparations got off to a worrying start after he was forced to withdraw late from the Atlanta Open singles on Wednesday.

While Kyrgios was able to win the doubles with Thanasi Kokkinakis the day before, he decided to play it safe and not risk further in the singles due to a lingering injury.

“I just want to say that I’m extremely shaken that I can’t compete tonight,” Kyrgios told the crowd in Atlanta.

“I’ve won this tournament once and I’m playing some of the best tennis of my career, all I wanted to do was come here and show you guys what I’m capable of.

“I am not able to give my best performance, I am extremely sorry.

“I’ll keep my hopes up and maybe I can continue the doubles with Thanasi.

“I hope you all won’t be too hard on me. I wanted to come and see you face to face to tell you I love you and I hope I can compete in singles next year. give it your all.”

Kyrgios is now likely to turn his singles focus to the Western & Southern Open in August as he looks to shake off injury concerns ahead of the US Open.

The Australian has been given a wild card for the tournament in Cincinnati, where Rafael Nadal and Daniil Medvedev are also expected to play.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.